What Do Chigger Bites Look Like?
Chigger bites are one of the most common causes of itching and skin irritation in outdoor enthusiasts and hikers. Chiggers are a type of mites that are commonly found in Salt Lake City. They are indeed commonly found in areas like Salt Lake City that have grassy fields, forests, and other outdoor environments. These mites are most active during the warmer months of the year, from early spring through late fall, and are often found in areas with high humidity and vegetation.
Due to their small size, they can hardly be seen by the naked eye. Its size only ranges from 0.15 to 0.3 millimeters. And like other small pests, chiggers will also bite humans and pets by attaching themselves to the skin of their host and injecting enzymes into the skin through their bite.
As usual, the host will feel itchy when the chigger bites them. But since they are small and they bite humans and pets like bed bugs and fleas; how would you know if it’s a chigger bite and not a bed bug and flea bite?
Identifying Chigger Bites
First, the location of the bite. If you have been bitten on your ankles, waistbands, armpits, groin, or behind the knees, it is likely a chigger bite. These parts of your body are the most delicate ones because of their thin skins. And chiggers have the tendency to bite in these parts of your body.
Second, check if the bite area is raised on the skin. If it does, it is a chigger bite. Chigger bites look small, reddish, or can be pinkish, welts that are raised on the skin, like a bump. You might also see a raised area at the center of the chigger bite that quite resembles a pimple.
Third, all bites from insects may cause you to itch. But nothing will compare to the itch that a chigger bite causes. A chigger bite is characterized by its ability to make its host itch intensively. After a while, after being bitten, the itch will become very uncomfortable and more severe for the host.
Fourth, chigger bites come in groups. This is due to the way chigger larvae eat. Chiggers group in clusters and, thus, eat in clusters. This results in a cluster of bites in one area.
Fifth, the itching and pain is longer. Unlike other insect bites, where the symptoms subside after a few hours, chigger bites’ symptoms can last for days to weeks.
Chigger Bites Treatment
In some cases, chiggers can transmit a virus called scrub typhus that can be fatal if left untreated. So what are you going to do if a chigger bites you? Below are ways that you can do if chiggers bite you.
- Wash the bite area: Washing the bite area as soon as possible with warm water and soap will ensure that any larvae in the area will be removed.
- Use anti-itch creams: Applying any over-the-counter anti-itch creams like Calamine lotion can help relieve the intense itching and inflammation.
- Apply a cold compress: You can reduce the inflammation, swelling, or raised skin by applying a cold compress to the bite area.
- Drink antihistamines: Another way to alleviate the itching is to drink any oral antihistamines. This can also help if you have other allergic reactions to the chigger bites.
- Do not scratch: Avoid scratching the bite area to prevent any further damage, irritation, or infection. Also, wear loose clothing so clothes will be in constant friction with the bite, resulting in irritation.
- Keep the bite clean: Always clean the bite with mild soap to prevent bacterial build-up, resulting in infection.
- Consult a doctor: If symptoms are still the same after several days or months or you are experiencing an infection, it is best to get checked up by a doctor.
Chigger Bites Prevention
Chigger bites can be easily treated, but they can also be easily prevented by a few precautions.
- Wear protective clothing: Now you know where chiggers commonly live and are found, it is best to wear long sleeves, long pants, long socks, and closed-toe shoes. Doing so will prevent the chiggers from crawling inside your clothing and biting you.
- Use insect repellent: For skins that are exposed, it is best to add more protection by applying insect repellents.
- Avoid tall grassy places: If you can avoid taking a venture on paths with tall grass, then do so. This will lower your risk of coming in contact with chiggers.
- Shower after going outside: You might not know what you have come in contact with when you went outside, so it is best to take off your clothes, wash them, and take a bath as well. This will ensure that all those things that you caught off during your stay outdoors are down the drain.
- Do not sit directly on the ground: Grounds, especially with grasses, have the tendency to have chiggers. On times that you need to sit on the ground, cover it up with some blankets, towels, or plastic before sitting on them.
Call a pest control professional: A pest control in Salt Lake City, Utah will treat your home if you suspect that you are infested with chiggers. Chiggers are very hard to see because of their size, right? So you may not physically see them. But in cases where you feel like you have chigger infestations, it is best to get your home inspected by a pest control company.
Bed bugs can be a major nuisance and cause various physical and emotional problems, including skin irritation, anxiety, and sleep disturbances. In Salt Lake City, bed bugs are a growing concern, especially in apartment buildings, hotels, and other high-density living spaces. But where do bed bugs come from, and how can you prevent them from infesting your home or property?
Sleeping is one of the things that we look forward to after a very long day. We recharge ourselves by sleeping by the end of the night to be refreshed the next day. But we can be disturbed even during our sleep by pesky pests crawling and hiding where we sleep. That’s terrifying, right? Pests that are known to annoy us during our sleep are bed bugs. They are usually found where humans and other pets sleep. Bed bugs can be almost anywhere in the world – even in your Saltlake home! They can be annoying because they suck your blood and leave you with an itch and bumps in the infected area. So blood attracts them, even the blood of other animals. Therefore, you should conduct bed bug removal if you have them. If you find bugs on your beds, you might think they are bed bugs. But are they?
Bed bugs are small, flat, and oval-shaped insects that feed on the blood of humans and animals. During the day, bed bugs hide in cracks and crevices around beds, furniture, and baseboards. You can also find them in mattresses, bed frames, blankets, carpets, and other fabric items throughout your home. While it is possible for bed bugs to infest your car, they’re less likely to do so than inside a house or other structure.